Books

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." --Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Quirky

This week’s question is suggested by (blogless) JMutford:

Sometimes I find eccentric characters quirky and fun, other times I find them too unbelievable and annoying. What are some of the more outrageous characters you’ve read, and how do you feel about them?


I am not a book snob, I will read just about anything. I read on a blog the other day where a reader snubbed romances saying they were a waste of her time. I don't think someone who reads classics like The Count of Monte Cristo is any better than someone who reads the latest Bridget Jones. The important thing is that a person reads. I love period romances (those are usually the Fabio covered books) because of the history in them. I'm fascinated with Native American cultures and Cassie Edwards writes alot of novels featuring Native Americans, but the women in these books have to be the most annoying creatures on God's green earth. I probably read about 1 every other year because they drive me crazy. Many times I will scan through several pages instead of actually read them just to get past the inane banter of some of these stories.
Other times it's the quirkyness of the characters that I love. I love Grandma Mazur in the Stephanie Plum series. Ranger is completely unrealistic, but I love that about him. When I'm reading fiction books, I often want to be whisked away from the real world, so I enjoy reading characters who are a bit out there. Characters who are enjoyable is most important to me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind welcome! And I agree with you, quirky characters often make a story fun. :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger heather (errantdreams) said...

I have to agree about not judging the 'worth' of a book by its genre. There are horribly-written 'literary' books and beautifully-written genre books. Not to mention the fact that if a genre book is gorgeous, people tend to arbitrarily definite it as literary and use it as yet more ammo for the 'literary fiction is better than genre fiction' argument. Case in point: there are plenty of 'classics' that if they were written today would be defined as romances.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Veggiemomof2 said...

I wrote about Steph Plum's friends too!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Chrisbookarama said...

I'll read just about anything too.

Btw, I love your reader girl in the header. That's cute!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read the characters you've mentioned. You're right about the importance of characters being enjoyable. Sometimes a very normal character can be irritating, while an extremely eccentric one is likeable.

Happy BTT! :-)

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home