Books

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." --Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Friday, January 25, 2008

I found this on The Sleepy Reader's blog:

Eva's Reading Meme

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?

Anything by Jane Austen. I don't know why, but something about her books just turn me off. I can't even stand to watch trailors for the movies from her books. Everyone is excited by PBS rendering her books on TV and I quickly turn the channel. One day I will conquer this "fear".

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
I have too much of the real world. I want to laugh at the dinner table with Stephanie Plum, Joe and Ranger from Janet Evanovich's number series. Her mom would serve lasagna too, of course.


(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
Most classics intrigue me, but also bore me to tears. It would be impossible to pick just one. I would just plant myself in the Classics section of a library and read until I fell over.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

Why lie? No matter how well-read you are, no one's read every book. Instead of discussing the book, I'd talk about why I want to read it and get the person's opinion on it.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?

No, it's usually the opposite. I've picked up a book, gotten 1 or 2 chapters into it only to discover I've read it before.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (if you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP).

That's a tough one. I usually make my recommendations based on the individuals interests. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. It's a short, but fulfilling book. Easy to read and pleasing across genres.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Latin. Sleepy Reader also choose Latin. I studied Latin all 4 years in high school and it not only helped with my English comprehension, it helped my reading most romance languages. So I will also be able to muddle through Spanish, French and the like.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

I usually re-read The Prophet and Conversations with God every year anyways, so I pick either one of those.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

Since I usually have one of my 5 kiddos hanging on my hip, I can't browse the library shelves like I used to looking for new books to read. That's what I love reading blogs for, finding new books, discovering new authors, trying different venues.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

I love that good fairy! My dream library would be a regular library with bean bag chairs and pillows in every aisle, so I can sit and peruse books. I actually prefer to semi-recline and read, not sit and read. This library would have a large number of Personal Readers (sort of like Personal Shoppers) who could keep and eye out for books they think I may enjoy reading. This is the most important part: this library would have a day care center where I can drop my kids off so I can browse in peace!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Hi ebony- Thanks for visiting my site.
You can still get Rice flower & shea online. They have a special running right now and I think they have made it either one of their Classic or Signature scents which means they bring it back when they have the stock up sales.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2077831&cp=2484525.2862133

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jeane said...

Ah! Like you, I would love to visit a library in peace, without having to constantly shepherd my toddler. Solo library visits are rare...

I am glad to know I am not the only reader who hasn't read Jane Austen... I just never felt like it, yet, but I'd begun to feel left out. Glad to know I'm in company!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Eva said...

Ohhh-day care would be nice. I bring my toddler niece along to the library pretty often, and it severly impedes my browsing.

I got a great mental image form you 'planting yourself in the classics'! lol

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latin eh? I took latin for three years in high school and actually enjoyed it. Have you ever read The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman? Her heroine is a latin teacher.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home