Books

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." --Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Huh?

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”

And, folks–Becca was nice enough to nominate Booking Through Thursday for a Blogger’s Choice Award–while you’re here, why don’t you head over and vote for us, too. Because, a vote for BTT is a vote for all of us who play each week!


Oh how I love this question. I have 3 books that I recommend to everyone when I get the chance. And rarely has anyone heard of them.

1. Your Pregnancy Week-by-Week By Glade Curtis
Everyone gets the What to Expect Books which are good, but I liked this book better because it broke it down into weekly segments and I love the pencil drawings of the developing fetus. The What to Expect books had pictures of mommy's growing belly, all I had to do was look down to see that, much rather see my little creation growing. I read and re-read this one with all 5 of my pregnancies.

2. The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
This is a short book that can be easily read in 1 sitting. I read it at least once a year. It's only a little over 100 pages, but it has more wisdom than books double its size. Words of wisdom in chapters about marriage, children, friendship, work, etc. Gibran said of this book: " I think I've never been without The Prophet since I first conceived the book back in Mount Lebanon. It seems to have been a part of me.... I kept the manuscript four years before I delivered it over to my publisher because I wanted to be sure, I wanted to be very sure, that every word of it was the very best I had to offer." And it is just that, the very best.

3. Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch
The premise is that this guy had an actual conversation with God where he asked God questions and God answered the questions. Now whether you believe these conversations really happened I think are unimportant. Once again it's the unconventional wisdom that grabbed me with this book. I also loved that "God" has a sense of humor.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read the second two (although it's been awhile)excellent picks, and my son's wife is newly pregnant so I'll check out the first one next time I'm at the bookstore!

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home