Books

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." --Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

How much do reviews (good and bad) affect your choice of reading? If you see a bad review of a book you wanted to read, do you still read it? If you see a good review of a book you’re sure you won’t like, do you change your mind and give the book a try?

I will ignore a bad review, but I will look into a book if it gets a favorable review. The first thing I do is look at the books the reviewer has already read. If we have a few books in common, I'll then go to Amazon or Paperback Swap and read other reviews, then I'll go to the library and get the book. If there's any question, I know I won't be upset if it turns out I don't like it because I didn't lose any money on it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeane said...

sounds like you well-research a book by other avenues to be sure you'll like it, after reading a review.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm like you.. I tend to ignore bad reviews for the most part, knowing how subjective people's tastes are. Me.. if I see a book that I think I'll like, I'll normally pick it up, no matter the reviews. And, conversely, if the book itself doesn't catch my interest, it can have the best reviews in the world and I probably won't read it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger pussreboots said...

I do similar things when looking for new books to read. Have you tried GoodReads.com? I love it for comparing books against my friends there.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home