Books

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." --Mark Twain

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I just finished reading Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich and I was kind of disappointed. I had been wanting to read this one for awhile and read all kinds of reviews where people talked about getting upset with the way things are, but I only found myself getting mad at the author. There were times when I'm sure she was attempting to be funny, but being a low-wage earning for most of my life, I found her jokes offensive, especially when she was describing the clothes found at Wal-Mart. I just felt like this was a token book for rich people who want to say they understand the plight of the working poor in America. Ehrenreich did make comments about how she understood that she was only pretending and that she couldn't fully get what the poor experience, but I still felt like she had a superior attitude that many times bordered on racist. Having said all that, I would still recommend reading this book to anyone who have never been there, or it's been so long that they need a reminder.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Thanks for your review. I just started this book (about 5 minutes ago), and I already have the same impression: "Still, it is a shock to realize that "trailer trash" has become, for me, a demographic category to aspire to" (p. 12).

While I've always been on the lucky side of things, even I found this comment a little offensive and wondered how the rest of the book will proceed.

Best wishes.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home